Monday, November 28, 2011

Update on Adoption Process

I just wanted to update everyone on the progress we are making with our adoption paperwork.

1st Home Visit:  Our first home study visit by our social worker was 1 1/2 weeks ago.  It was wonderful!  We absolutely could not be happier with our social worker.  You can see her love for Jesus and for these precious children in what she does.  I really wasn't sure what to expect as the big day arrived, but it was so easy.  The home visit lasted about 3 hours.  She toured our home, met our children, and we chatted about the upcoming adoption process and about ourselves.  It was especially fun to reminisce and share about our relationship.  We talked about how we met and fell in love in high school, we talked about our proposal and engagement, our beautiful wedding, our children, and how God has led us to this journey of adoption.  We also had opportunity to brag on each other.  It was truly a blessed time!

Finger Print attempt #1:  After our home visit, Randall and I decided we would go to the sheriff's office to have our finger prints done, since Randall had to take a half day off of work in order to do the home visit.  We are trying to make the most of those times off work.  Well, first we had to print out and fill out paperwork to take with us.  Of course our printer at home was out of ink, so we went to Office Depot to print.  It took forever!  Finally, we had the paperwork ready to go, and we headed to the sheriff's office.  Once we arrived, we learned that finger prints are only done from 1:00-3:00 Monday thru Thursday.  This was not the information we had been given on the phone!  Randall had to get back to work, so we are still trying to find the best opportunity to get our finger prints done. 

Physicals:  I had my physical done a couple of weeks ago.  It was a piece of cake.  Only issue there is that I now have to go back to do my TB test.  I couldn't do it the first time, because with a TB test you must return to the doctor and have your results read 2-3 days after the test.  Of course, I had my physical on a Wednesday, and my doctor's office isn't open on Fridays.  So yes, I have to go back to complete my physical.  Randall is trying to figure out a way to get his done without having to miss any more time at work. 

Writing and Signing:  We still have a lot of paperwork to read and sign, and copies to make.  We also have to write our autobiographies in the next couple of weeks.  I don't know why, but this is very intimidating for me.  Oh, well.  I just need to sit down and get it done. 

It's all going really well.  And I can see God's hand in all of it!  I can also see how Satan would love for me to get distracted and discouraged over the speed bumps along the way, but he MAY NOT have my joy!  I am so thankful that God has chosen us to walk this path.

1 comment:

  1. Hey we had the same problem with Chris' work and getting the physical done. He was able to get his done at American Family Care near where he works. He called them ahead of time and they had him drop off the forms for review several days before his physical. Just make sure they're willing to sign all the things that have to be signed before the physical. Ithink it cost him about $100 b/c insurance wouldnt cover it. (Our social worker said not all American Family Care doctors would sign the "is this patient capable of being a parent" for some of the patients - so she stressed having it reviewed and agreed upon before the actual appointment. Anyways, hope this helps - maybe there's something like that near his office.

    ReplyDelete